by Beth Hedger
2020 has mocked the typical stereotypes about the speed and nature of change and tossed them vigorously out the window. When you look back on the year, maybe you found new ways to flex with each new wave of change or perhaps you pressed through all of the challenges. I have joked with my friends and colleagues that I expect to find Godzilla in a battle royal on the next block with Mothra any day now – and we still have a few weeks left before 2021 so ANYTHING can happen!
As we all take a breath at the close of this year and look with anticipation at the prospect of 2021, I encourage you to take time to perform a change leadership and project management “check-in” to ensure your team is on track to take on 2021 (and maybe Mothra?!).
Excellence is never an accident; it is the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, skillful execution, and the vision to see obstacles as opportunities.
Refresh the team – Take time with your team to pause and reflect on the past year.
- What has this year been like for your team?
- What were the successes and challenges?
- Has everyone had the time to rest, refresh, and be ready for what’s next?
Re-visit the change plan – The end of one year and the start of a new year is a natural opportunity to review your progress.
- Do your goals need a tweak or a complete re-write?
- Did your team make necessary progress in your initiatives and plans?
Re-commit to the desired future state – Whether or not you need to adjust expectations, identify ways to sustain and reinvigorate your change initiatives.
- Do you know if your stakeholders are engaged and motivated?
- Is your future desired state well-communicated and understood?
- Do you have clear actions and steps defined?
- How are you managing achieving your desired future state?
- Is your organization prepared to adopt and embrace the future state?
If your audit shows that your team is ready for 2021, congratulations! We would love to hear your success stories. If it revealed that you need help with your change strategy or plan, schedule a consult today with Evolve Solutions Group to talk about how we can support your next change initiative.